Thursday, September 20, 2012

Riot Tip: Hanging Photos in Your Cubical

Riot Tip: Hanging Photos in Your Cubical 

(Without having it look like a teenager's locker)



This tip is dedicated to those of you who (like me) find yourselves in a cubical from 9 to 5, Monday through Friday and have grown tired of your cubical walls looking like some teeny bopper's bedroom wall. I'm talking about all the thumbtacks you use in order to keep some personal sense of self to an otherwise conventional workspace.


"But the thumbtacks are the only way to hang my photos on the fabric panels", you say.
Well to that I say, "Nay!"

Here's a neat trick I did for the photos I hang on my cubical walls:




Step One:
Take your images and measure it to a piece of foamcore (I prefer matte black, but use whatever color you can find), leaving at least an inch of space around the image. (this gives it that framed look)


Step Two:
Cut out the "frame" from the foamcore. You now have your base.

Step Three:
Glue (or double sided tape, spray mount, Xyron, stick) your image to the center of the foamcore.

Step Four:
On the back of the foamcore frame, glue (or single side tape if you don't care that it might slip out) a large paper clip to the middle of the board leaving enough of the paper clip visible so that you can use it as a hook.




Step Five:
Place a CLEAR push pin into your cubical wall and slip the paper clip (now attached to the foamcore frame) over the push pin.


And you're done!

If you're wondering why I do this instead of just buying a frame, the reason is because most cube walls won't hold much weight and so because of this I've had about 5 frames fall off my walls and break. The foamcore is lightweight and doesn't pull the push pin out of the wall.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More